About

Private information disclosed. Here for example use now... if anyone uses it.

Friday 21 September 2012

Research Into: Shane Meadows & Ken Loach

Researching directors and people who are famously associated with the social realism genre is another great way of gaining a knowledge on the typical ways which the films and themes are approached and presented by professionals.
I decided to do some brief research on Shane Meadows and Ken Loach, two directors who are very famous within the genre.
I didn't want to gather too much research on the directors, as I felt film research was more useful and gave us a more of a first-hand experience rather than reading internet sources on the internet about these people. I also felt watching interviews of the men was a lot more useful than reading as it is them personally speaking rather than what someone has recorded and possibly assumed at some points.

This interview below was extremely helpful as it was Shane Meadows being interviewed by an A Level class, much like our own. He answered the questions they asked and gave quite a few points which were very influential and helpful for understanding how I would approach this project. There were two parts to the interview, however I found the first part more helpful, so I will embed just that one below;


There were also these interview clips I found on YouTube about This Is England (also by Shane Meadows) which was quite useful as it helped me understand the themes in the film better;



For Ken Loach, I did find and watch a half an hour long interview, however I feel it is a little long to watch as a viewer on my blog. I will however embed it below for anyone interested. It explored Ken Loache's ideas and commentary on his social realistic film 'My Name Is Joe'. I found it very useful for gathering rich information on how he got his opinions and views on society across, particularly in the working class world.



Here is another great interview (in HD too, compared to the other older videos above) that also explores Ken Loache's ideas on the social realism film industry. He is also joined by another director, Rebecca O'Brien, who could also well be a good name to remember during the production of our film.


0 comments:

Post a Comment